WDIM361 Server Scripting 1
This page is the main webpage for our Server-side scripting course. We'll be learning to program and develop websites with PHP and MySQL. This course is taught at the Art Institute of Portland - Spring 2012. Below you will find course homework assignments, and several other resources.
Tools and download links - visit this page for links to installation tools (Xampp, MAMP), our textbook website, etc.
PHP programing instructional videos:
Because I'm going to be absent weeks 3 & 4 of our course, I'm in the process of screencasting my lectures for those weeks. You will be required to watch these screencasts and follow along with the demonstrations.
Week 3 videos
- PHP videos - Week 3 Part 1 - Covers include files, building & styling HTML forms, GET, POST, writing functions, passing arguments, variable scope, pass by reference & pass by value
- PHP videos - Week 3 Part 2 - How to build an HTML "Contact Us" form, and using PHP to send the email. Capture the inputs, validate the email, etc.
Week 4 videos
- PHP videos - Week 4 - More on functions, and also introducing basic OOP (object oriented programming) ideas
- Assignment 1 - Some PHP basics, capturing form inputs, string methods, date object
- Assignment 2 - Multi-page assignment, show dynamic content based on user inputs.. writing simple functions
- Assignment 3 - Write a "Contact Us" form, which uses functions in processing, and sends email.
- Assignment 4 - OOP in PHP, designing and building your own classes and objects
- Assignment 5 - Practice creating your own MySQL database, user & table. Study for midterm..
Older Course Files:
- Week 8 files - (Fall 2012) This is where we got in our demo..
- Week 10 PHP & AJAX example - Download the zip file, contains PHP, AJAX and mySQL DB file.
In searching around I found some other pretty good video tutorials on PHP out there. Here's a collection that looks good:
If you hunt around on YouTube and Google you'll find more.. these are just nice resources - mostly for the basics.